Help! Apple //c keyboard & whatnot...

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_30below.com>
Date: Mon Mar 8 20:27:48 1999

I have a friend who says he has an Apple //c that he would like to get
working again. I (of course) told him that I may be able to help in in this
regard.

ObApples: I'm no *dummy* on 8-bit Apple software... knew both Integer Basic
and Applesoft Basic back in high school, and even programmed a fair amount
on a Franklin Ace 1000 when the chance presented itself, so I can "hold my
own." However, hardware-wise I'm rather close to clueless about the Apple
][ series of machines; I've never dug into the internals of any of these
critters before... so here goes:

1. His keyboard from the sounds of it, is (at best) *seriously* wounded. It
wasn't working due to sticky keys and took it to an "expert" who profusely
coated the keyboard with silicone lubricant, which (of course) didn't help.

--- Can you tear down a //c keyboard, or is it one of those "plastic-rivet"
held throwaway types? I have rebuilt several Tandy CoCo 1/2/3 keyboards...
is a //c keyboard even remotely similar? Or... does anyone have a spare
keyboard they're willing to sell for a reasonable price?

2. He's got some software on disks that (i believe) he's assuming are
unreadable. He speaks of the disks being dirty & worn, but doesn't actually
mention that he's attemted and failed to see if they still work. He is
willing to purchase new (if possible) disks of this software, which he's
not sure what it was called... but he says it was the word processor and
spelling checker from "border bond" [sic] software... which I'm assuming
would be "Broderbund." He cannot remember the actual titles, but he says he
has the original disks, so I do have access to them if necessary.

Again, my friend is willing to pay a reasonable amount for replacement disks.
---
I believe (from the email conversation) that this equipment other than
these problems, all the equipment was working right up until he purchased a
Win95 box, which has since died and has purchased a new Win98 Goatway...
(oops, Freudian slip... ;-)
He states that the machine may not actually get used much, but he does want
a spare "word processor" in case his Wintel box goes down (again). He's
wheelchair bound, cannot speak, and uses word processors {snail mail} &
email for almost all communication with the outside world. He does have his
Epson HX-20, but the little roll paper would not be good for
correspondence, nor would the tiny LCD screen.
*Any* help or information at all on this project would be most appreciated,
so thank you all in advance.
Roger "Merch" Merchberger
--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   ---   sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
Recycling is good, right???  Ok, so I'll recycle an old .sig.