YANU - uVax

From: emanuel stiebler <emu_at_ecubics.com>
Date: Tue Mar 9 08:55:21 1999

Hi,

----------
> From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis_at_mcmanis.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp_at_u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: YANU - uVax
> Date: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 1:08 AM
>
> At 10:39 PM 3/8/99 -0800, Zane H. Healy wrote:
> >You are joking about wanting to "upgrade" aren't you? The only reason I
> >can think of to do that is to attach a RX50, since you've already got a
> >very good ESDI controller.

I have all the controllers/rx50 ...
I never used it. ESDI disks are easy to get, more capacity, ....

> Yes, the only reason I want to add the RQDX3 is to have a monitor prom
> supported bootable device with removable media. One of the uVax has the
> Exabyte on it (I don't know if the Viking will boot it or not) and the
> other has no media at all (although it does have a TK50 controller so if
> could find a TK50 drive that would work.)

A TK50 is cheap, and you can boot from.

> I'm going to try to net-boot NetBSD on it since I don't have any other
> VAXen to cluster it with. If that is successful then perhaps it won't be

> such a big deal, but I dislike computers that have a fairly high
> infrastructure overhead before you can get them running.

?!?!?!?!
Sorry, i have 2-3 uVax here, all of them have only cpu/mem/ethernet. All of
them are working fine. "infrastructure overhead" ????

just my .0002 cents.

cheers,
emanuel