YANU - uVax

From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis_at_mcmanis.com>
Date: Tue Mar 9 11:35:55 1999

At 07:55 AM 3/9/99 -0700, emanuel stiebler wrote:
>I have all the controllers/rx50 ...
>I never used it. ESDI disks are easy to get, more capacity, ....

I know, I've got a nice ESDI controller.

>A TK50 is cheap, and you can boot from.

And the source is ... ?

(I wrote:
               ... I dislike computers that have a fairly high
  infrastructure overhead before you can get them running.

>?!?!?!?!
>Sorry, i have 2-3 uVax here, all of them have only cpu/mem/ethernet. All of
>them are working fine. "infrastructure overhead" ????

In order to use a diskless uVax you need a MOP server, an ethernet, and a
disk image stored on the network. That is "relatively high overhead". In
order to use a PDP-8 you don't need anything but the computer that is "zero
overhead."

My point was that at some point I will pass this computer on to another
caretaker and that person may need to re-format, reboot, re-install, etc
and I would like to be able to hand off everything needed to do that.

--Chuck