vax, cdroms, etc

From: Jim Strickland <jim_at_calico.litterbox.com>
Date: Tue Mar 9 23:34:02 1999

> >2. When doing a show dev on a VS3100/40, the cdrom drive should show
> > up on the device list, right? (I suspect I goofed up the wiring on the
> > CDROM case)
>
> Is the CD-ROM turned on? I won't say how long it took me to figure out
> that the external CD I put on my new DEC 3000/300LX last night started out
> turned on so I was actually turning it off. <grrr>

Heh. Thought of that. The drive can eject when you push the button so the
power IS on.

> >3. can someone answer conclusively for me whether the vaxstation expects
> > the disk to have parity enabled? The lists I've read don't seem very
> > sure.
>
> Not quite sure what you mean here. It expects 512k blocks, if you want to
> boot off the install CD. However, I believe it will read CD's in standard
> drives once the system is up and running.

I should clarify. Does it expect its internal hard disks to have parity turned
on or not?

> Why bother unless you're short on memory. You can get UCX as part of the
> Hobbyist program, and apparently two more TCP stacks will be available on
> the Hobbyist program around the middle of this month (sorry can't remember
> which ones). On the other hand this assumes you can put your hands on the
> media somehow.

Therein lies the problem. I can ftp CMU down and (if VMS knows about ISO9660
out of the can) hopefully install it from a home-made cdrom.

--
Jim Strickland
jim_at_DIESPAMMERSCUMcalico.litterbox.com