vax, cdroms, etc

From: Zane H. Healy <healyzh_at_aracnet.com>
Date: Tue Mar 9 23:29:14 1999

>Hi. I've finally got all the stuff to upgrade my vax to a level where I can
>hang it on my network. I have the external disk cable, I have a new 1gig
>drive to put in it. And of course, I have some questions. i
>
>1. Does VMS 6.2 know about ISO9660 cdroms out of the box?

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind knowing what version can do this myself.

>2. When doing a show dev on a VS3100/40, the cdrom drive should show
> up on the device list, right? (I suspect I goofed up the wiring on the
> CDROM case)

Is the CD-ROM turned on? I won't say how long it took me to figure out
that the external CD I put on my new DEC 3000/300LX last night started out
turned on so I was actually turning it off. <grrr>

>3. can someone answer conclusively for me whether the vaxstation expects
> the disk to have parity enabled? The lists I've read don't seem very
> sure.

Not quite sure what you mean here. It expects 512k blocks, if you want to
boot off the install CD. However, I believe it will read CD's in standard
drives once the system is up and running.

>4. anything special about configuring cmu? I've gotten UCX to work in a past
> life as a VMS sysadmin.

Why bother unless you're short on memory. You can get UCX as part of the
Hobbyist program, and apparently two more TCP stacks will be available on
the Hobbyist program around the middle of this month (sorry can't remember
which ones). On the other hand this assumes you can put your hands on the
media somehow.

However, to answer your question, configuring CMUIP is very easy. You'll
probably want to replace the FTP portion, and there are some patches that I
never could figure out how to install. Now that the new Hobbyist program
is available all my VAXen run DECnet as does the one Alpha, the other Alpha
runs DECnet and UCX. Next step, clustering.

                                Zane
| Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
| healyzh_at_aracnet.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
| healyzh_at_holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
| and Zane's Computer Museum. |
| http://www.dragonfire.net/~healyzh/ |