Linux (was: Interesting to note about Altairs...)

From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke_at_mch20.sbs.de>
Date: Wed Mar 10 05:01:45 1999

> <Nope! Linux is still to hard for the average user. There are too many
> <different flavor of libraries (GLIBC2 vs. LIBC5 as an example). Windows
> <has the advantage of having (for the most part) only one version of
> <necessary DLLs. Linux will never match the ease of Windows because if it
> <did, half of Linux's attractiveness (the user configurability) will be lost

> The installation is the horror.

Ever tried SuSE ? The last installation was done by my whife,
I just told her brifly before installation what services I
wanted to have (ISDN, web-server, WM, etc.) and she could install
the complete system just following the SuSE installation procedure
(one exception, I had also to provide the partition scheme).

I did this as an test, if Linux is ready to be installed
by someone thats not a freak or full time programmer, but
rather a typical office person.

> I have Red Hat and it doesn't like my
> CDU-33, Slakware does... go figure.

You are talking about the CDU-33A CD-ROM ?
Automaticly detected by SuSE installations :)

Gruss
H.

P.S.: I guess I'm a sworn SuSE follower :)

--
Der Kopf ist auch nur ein Auswuchs wie der kleine Zeh.
H.Achternbusch