OT ? IBM AS400/9404 & HP9000/832

From: William Donzelli <william_at_ans.net>
Date: Wed Mar 10 11:02:16 1999

> The AS/400 runs OS/400. It might use either a proprietary processor
> designed specifically for the AS/400, or it might use a special variant
> of a PowerPC RISC. I don't know how to tell from the model number.

Likely an older one, as the new ones running the PowerAS chips are still
quite valuable (hell, they still make 'em!).

AS/400s are probably the best database boxes around, never break, never
crash, and have a bizzare CISC architecture that makes the VAX look like a
SPARC, but alas, are probably the most unhackable machines on the planet.
IBM made them to play by IBM's rules, and no one elses. Linux/400 is
unlikely, to say the least!

William Donzelli
william_at_ans.net