vax, cdroms, etc

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Wed Mar 10 20:00:01 1999

On Mar 10, 19:27, R. Stricklin (kjaeros) wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Pete Turnbull wrote:
>
> > That means that only a few CD-ROM drives will be bootable, such as
Toshiba
> > 3301, 3401, and a few old Sony drives -- and all of those will need to
be
> > set up correctly. On the Toshibas, that means a minor internal
> > modification, unless you get one that was previously used on a Vax,
> > Sparcstation, or SGI.

> Almost any Plextor CD-ROM drive will have a jumper that will enable it to
> be used on a host expecting 512k blocks.

I'd forgotten about the Plextors.

> I understand that many newer Toshiba CD-ROMs will also work equally well
> with 512k or 2048k blocks. As far as I'm aware, of the older Toshiba
> CD-ROM drives only the 3201B (3401B? I forget) is modifiable.

All the newer Toshibas -- and most other SCSI-2 CD-ROMs -- will accept the
appropriate MODE SELECT command. The 3201, 3301, and 3401 all have
internal jumper pads to hardwire the block size. I think the 5401 does as
well. The 3601 and later don't (the pads are there, but they don't set the
block size).

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science