Planning for an equipment move...

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_30below.com>
Date: Sat Mar 13 15:37:35 1999

Once upon a midnight dreary, Zane H. Healy had spoken clearly:

>in the back of my current pickup. I'm wondering if the smaller pickups
>along the lines of a Chevy S-10 can handle that.

Altho they did make longbox (8 foot) boxes on the S-10 line, they're pretty
tough to find. Otherwise, an S10 will fit anything 6 foot even... or maybe
an inch or two over. If you have room for a little diagonal work, you may
able to squeeze 6 foot 6 inches.

Weight-wise - I've found the S10 line to be quite capable. They're standard
1/2-ton, but I've had over 3/4 ton in the back of mine, once... I pulled
full-size trucks out of the ditch; and my pickup was the lowest-end pickup
available - 2.5 litre engine, 5 speed stick, didn't even have a bumper! The
most I towed with mine (trailered) was 2.5 ton, I think. Didn't go very
fast (especially up hills... ;-) but it pulled fine. BTW, receiver hitches
are the only way to go for towing--- especially when you don't have a bumper!

Excellent truck, but don't get "Steel Gray" - the paint falls off. ;-)

They make a good rescue vehicle, as mine averaged 32mpg highway...

For comparison, full-size Chevy short-boxes are roughly 6 foot 6 inches,
IIRC, and std. boxes are 8 foot.

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger
--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   ---   sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
Recycling is good, right???  Ok, so I'll recycle an old .sig.