IBM PC 5150 with no drives?

From: James Willing <jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com>
Date: Sun Mar 14 10:21:57 1999

At 11:59 PM 3/13/99 -0800, you wrote:

>I saw an IBM 5150 today in a thrift store. The odd thing about it was
>that it had no disk drives! It only had two black covers over the disk
>drive bays. It seems like it came from the factory this way. It is the
>first revision of motherboard with the cassette jack, so its conceivable
>that it was used with a cassette recorder and was always like this. Does
>anyone wish to concur on this? I'm debating if I should get it, but not
>for the $20 they have it tagged for.

Sure 'nuff. The original configuration of the IBM PC had no drives, and 4k
of memory. Diagnostics and a utility or two on Cassette (altho the
cassette player was optional?!?). BASIC in the ROM so it could be
programmed...

Back in the days when a single floppy drive and controller was a (apx. $900
option)

Frighteningly enough... I remember selling quite a few of them in that
(cassette only) configuration.

-jim

---
jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com