Medieval methods... (was Re: Got a question....PDP? VAX?)

From: James Willing <jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com>
Date: Sun Mar 14 10:31:57 1999

At 10:14 AM 3/14/99 -0500, Max Eskin wrote:

>>> Although the Altair used some medieval methods of programming...
>in later machines like the IMSAI, one would generally use a dumb terminal
>and resort to the front panel for debugging purposes.

It is always amusing to note how the newbies denigrate the past practices
without considering that if those practices did not exist, and people had
not mastered them, then the art would not have advanced to the level that
it is today...

Of course... After the next (in progress even now perhaps) rennissance in
computing, I suspect people will be making similar comments about the
'bloat-ware' level of programming that is prevalent in the masses today,
which allows nearly anyone with minimal experience and training to write
mediocre code which is readily accepted by the mass audience (while at the
same time being held in great disdain by those occupying the higher levels
of the art).

<only somewhat tongue-in-cheek>

-jim

---