Hazeltine?

From: Marvin <marvin_at_rain.org>
Date: Mon Mar 15 10:05:49 1999

Joe wrote:

> >On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 06:35:55 -0500, Steve Robertson <steverob_at_hotoffice.com>
> >wrote:
> > This building is about a 20 minute drive from my house. It's on Pulaski
> >Road in Greenlawn. The sign outside now says "GEC/Marconi/Hazeltine" and is
> >locally acknowledged as a Superfund site
>
> That's common for places that used to make circuit boards. Almost all of
> them simply dumped the waste water containing copper, nickel, tim, lead and
> chromium out the back door.

That might have been true many, many years ago, but my involvement with the
mfg of printed circuit boards started in the mid 70's, and that was not the
case from that point on. Second, the statement about dumping copper, nickel,
etc. is very misleading unless you specify both the amount and the
concentrations of the waste chemistry you are talking about. Thirdly, a lot
of toxic wastes were *legally* disposed of with all the associated
government regulations that the government is now coming back and looking
for money to clean up sites they had approved as safe. A favorite saying of
mine is "There would be no such thing as the environmental movement were it
not for scientific illiteracy." Yes, it is an overstatement, but there is a
lot of truth there.