Forwarded without comment ...

From: Max Eskin <max82_at_surfree.com>
Date: Wed Mar 17 10:56:39 1999

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Sellam Ismail wrote:
>Great, let's solve an annoying but minor issue with a majorly annoying and
>hard to pronounce prefix system. Whoever came up with these should be
>dragged out into the middle of the street and beat with a crowbar. They
>obviously watch too many children's television shows. I don't know where
>else one would come up with such stupid prefixes.

Actually, besides the stupid-sounding prefixes, I think it is a good idea.
There are a lot of consumers confused by the 1000 vs. 1024 issue, as are
manufacturers and marketers. I think it might be better to have adopted a
logarithmic system where a prefix is used to indicate the power of two.
However, I can't currently think of any names for these prefixes that
wouldn't sound profoundly stupid.

 --Max Eskin (max82_at_surfree.com)