Dumping the Amiga 1000's boot ROM

From: Mark <mark_k_at_iname.com>
Date: Thu Mar 18 11:12:23 1999

Hi,

You may remember that I posted a message about this a while ago.

Well, it turns out the the boot ROM can be made to appear on any A1000. The
A-Max Mac emulator has a special bootblock which does this, in order to allow
the Kickstart memory to be used under Mac emulation. (When the boot ROM is
visible, the Kickstart area is writeable.)

I have written a tiny program to save out the boot ROM data, in conjunction
with this special bootblock. The program dumps the A1000's boot ROM (in fact
the region $F00000-$FBFFFF) to disk.

The actual boot ROM appears to be 64K long, and appears at (at least) $F80000-
$F8FFFF and $FA0000-$FAFFFF. There is seemingly garbage at $F90000-$F9FFFF
and $FB0000-$FBFFFF.

My program saves the 768K from $F00000-$FBFFFF, in order to investigate what is
there; the boot ROM may also appear somewhere in the $F00000-$F7FFFF region.

If you want to dump your A1000's boot ROM, get this file:
          http://home.freeuk.net/markk/A1000_Boot_ROM_Dumper.DMS
(It is 3821 bytes long.)

Unpack it to a floppy disk and boot your A1000 with it, after loading
Kickstart. Leave the disk write-enabled; a 768K file will be saved to it.

I would be interested to see whether there are different versions of the A1000
boot ROM. If you dump yours, it would be nice if you could compress it and
upload to your web space (or if that isn't possible, mail it to me).

I am working on disassembling the boot ROM, and if anyone is interested I can
send them the current work-in-progress.

-- Mark