old versions of Irix

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Thu Mar 18 19:31:08 1999

On Mar 18, 16:12, William Donzelli wrote:
> Subject: Re: old versions of Irix
> > I have a box of QIC tapes that claim to contain old versions of Irix,
> > mostly circa version 4.0.x, with a few random Sun and IBM tapes from
> > around the same era (late 1980s) thrown in. Does anyone want them?
>
> YES!!!!
>
> Irix can be a bear to get, as there seem to be lots of
> self-proclaimed "SGI-cops" out there that uphold the rather unfriendly
> license agreement.

OS his machine probably originally had, I'd point out that:

all SGI machines that ran IRIX were shipped with the OS;

the OS is/was licenced for the CPU, not the original owner;

the license doesn't preclude the system owner making a copy for use on the
same CPU.

There was a discussion about this a few months ago on comp.sys.sgi.admin,
in which the concensus from the SGI staff was that there was nothing wrong
in obtaining a copy of the OS for a system, providing one wasn't upgrading
to a version later than the one the system had been licensed for. You
should be able to find the discussion on DejaNews.

OK, so that won't help in getting a copy of 6.5. Judging from our
experiences, you don't want it just yet, anyway ;-)

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science