sellers market

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Thu Mar 18 19:41:21 1999

On Mar 18, 21:37, Tony Duell wrote:

> It has a redefinable character set (the bitmaps are in RAM).

Only for the characters 128...255. The lower set is always in ROM.

> It has a
> real serial port, which is also used for the cassette system

Mk.1 versions have a hardware bug which gives the RS232 transmit line
incorrect polarity. All standard versions have a bug in the monitor
routines, which cause the baud rate and serial/cassette switch to be rset
every time the keyboard is scanned. (I have a fix for that).

> (most of the
> cassette I/O is done in hardware which couples to the UART chip).

That was one of the nice things -- quite a good cassette system, with motor
control.

> It has
> a parallel port (centronics printer or user I/O IIRC). The keyboard isn't
> too bad.

Except it's polled by a very inefficient routine, which makes it a bit
slow. But it's good quality otherwise; it uses the same keyswitches as some
DEC terminals, and has a full ASCII keyboard, with a numeric pad, and a few
extra keys, so it's easy to generate all 256 character codes.

It also had pretty comprehensive Technical and Software manuals. I still
use mine.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science