Computers in Parallel

From: John Foust <jfoust_at_threedee.com>
Date: Fri Mar 19 09:03:50 1999

At 11:07 PM 3/18/99 -0800, Jason Willgruber wrote:
>Earlier today, I was reading an article in a magazine that I get (Science
>News) that said Supercomputers were made faster by connecting them in
>parallel (and I think someone here was talking about doing it with a bunch
>of C64's).

This is highly off-topic for this list - along with discussions of
(contemporary) computer security and/or retaliatory recommendations,
etc. Hardly a minute goes by on the net without some youngster hearing
about a new processor, or a pile of old processors, chanting the
word "beowulf" and thinking that 1 + 1 + 1 + overhead suddenly equals 10.
Also, it's a sure sign they aren't paying the electric bill, and
can't afford a $200 PC that'll beat the pants off their dream cluster.
Sure, there's the sheer hack value, but...

- John