sellers market

From: Marvin <marvin_at_rain.org>
Date: Sat Mar 20 02:35:19 1999

Sellam Ismail wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Marvin wrote:

> Yes, an open market WITH MECHANISMS IN PLACE TO ENCOURAGE THE RAMPANT
> ESCALATION OF PRICES BEYOND ANY REASONABLE ASSUMPTION OF "FAIR MARKET
> VALUE"! Look me straight in the eye and tell me that you think the way
> ebay structures its service does not lead to unreasonable price
> speculation on the part of buyers?
>
> The price an idiot decides to pay for a certain something does not and
> should not define what the rest of us should have to pay!

Are you interested in getting a hot topic going for VCF III? Put me down on
the panel to debate the function online auctions play in determining
pricing, and the relationship of that pricing to perceived value.

Your statement about MECHANISMS IN PLACE is interesting, but anyone who
stops to think will realize that any type of marketing will produce the same
results. So why are you trying to make ebay a special case (which it is
not)?

Since this is getting seriously off topic, I'll let it drop, but you might
want to consider this topic for VCF III!

> I'm throwing my support behind whatever effort takes place to create a
> free buy/sell/trade bulletin board. Its something I've been wanting to do
> for a while, and I think the time is right. I see a need and a purpose
> for it, and it will be a great year round anchor for the VCF activities,
> which is why I'd be willing to put whatever time and money it takes to
> bring it to fruition and have it sponsored by the VCF.

Free? I think this is a great idea, but generally speaking, "free" to one
person can be expensive to another. To name just one example, VCF. You have
put a great deal of time, effort, AND money into getting it up and running
with minimal cost to participants.

 I think a better idea would be to have niche market mini-online auctions,
and charge accordingly. I don't think I have ever found someone who objected
to ebay charges.