Fw: Pre-history of Digital Research

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Sat Mar 20 16:51:09 1999

That's truer today than it was 20-25 years ago. Much of what we saw on
S-100 equipment was used not because, say a J-K flipflop pair was the best
choice of devices, but because the boss had just bought a barrel full of the
things as surplus and wanted them used.

My concern in the previous post was over the performance of presently
available components in old circuit boards. First, because they were often
designed with the performance of the devices used figured into the timing
equations, and secondly, because it no longer works to leave device inputs
unconnected as was frequently the practice in the mid-late (Pre-LSTTL,
Pre-HCMOS) -70's.

Dick