"new" classics (was Re: Pre-history of Digital Research)

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Sat Mar 20 17:53:48 1999

I'm not so sure you're as far off-topic as you think. The connectors you
mentioned were all "old" technology back in the mid '70's when MITS and
IMSAI were pups. I'd submit that the DIN41612 connectors as used in VME bus
cards and in Apple Macintosh's NuBus are inexpensive enough today that your
can afford them. They're also 20 years old, as I was including them with my
VME wire-wrap boards in 1981-82. IIRC, the first run (20 boards) cost about
$19 per board for the connectors and mounting hardware. That's not much
more than the then-popular S-100's would have cost for 2 of each gender.

The notion of a front panel has often intrigued me, but recently I've
thought of using it more as a bus monitor probe, perhaps with an ethernet
connection to a PC and used for diagnosing functional anomalies. Instead of
discrete logic, it would use one or two of the SCENIX -SX processors and
drive the bus directly, loading memory and I/O features and storing the
monitored information in local memory for transmission to the PC host.
information could be displayed more effectively at the PC, but immediate
readouts in the form of discrete LED's, bit for bit, could be driven as
could HEX displays. The part I would view as important, however, is the
diagnostic function.

As for your loadable control store, I'd suggest you consider a mid-sized
FPGA. These can be loaded from a local processor and the architecture
changed at will, by reloading the device to suit the desired architecture.
if pinouts don't work, there are electrically reprogrammable crosspoint
switches routinely used every day, e.g. Lattice' GSX devices, to correct
unresolved routing problems, and there you are. You could actually fashion
your own processor right on your desk, but that really is off-topic.

Dick