Security question (sort of)

From: Max Eskin <max82_at_surfree.com>
Date: Sat Mar 20 19:34:02 1999

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Tony Duell wrote:

>The problem is, I can't think of a single way to damage any UART chip by
>programming it. I've read the data sheets for quite a lot of standard (and
>obscure) serial chips and there is no way to damage them...

For one thing, maybe Jason had a coincidental power surge? Certainly not
impossible. One of my computers has a fried serial port because I was
holding the mouse while wiping the screen with my hand. The static from
the screen jumped right through to the serial port (at any rate, I saw a
spark leaping from my finger to the mouse).

 --Max Eskin (max82_at_surfree.com)