OT: Re: Security question (sort of)/goodbye

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Sat Mar 20 22:45:48 1999

A few posts back I remember this young man relying on MSD to figure out what
he had. I personally have always found MSD to be worse than useless. If
he's confused, that's why.

As for the serial ports, the UART or maybe ART (also a valid acronymn, I
guess, since they're hardly universal any more) these are normally
recognized by means of the interrupt they return. If, let's assume, the
plug-N-play was altered by enabling the control parameter in the CMOS ram,
which allows this, then it might physically assign a different interrupt
than previously. Possibly a new hardware device was installed. It then
causes the firmware to reallocate resources, but perhaps not modify the
tables, hence fail to recognize devices because it was not told to update
the table. Now it doesn't get the correct interrupt from the serial ports,
hence concludes the port is absent.

Does that sound possible?

Dick