Rebirth of IMSAI

From: Richard A. Cini, Jr. <rcini_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Sun Mar 21 08:43:07 1999

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999 12:05:30 -0500, Steve Robertson <steverob_at_hotoffice.com>
wrote:

>>The tenative price of $500 seems awfully high to me. After all, it's not
>>like there is a lot of R&D involved, the components aren't exactly
>>cutting-edge, and to some extent the markets are already established.

    I don't recall Fischer's Web site quoting a price. I applied the price
of $500 to a currently-mythical 25th Anniversary Edition kit which was my
$0.02.

    I don't know if $500 is the right number either, but I figure that in a
"new" IMSAI 8080 kit in low quantities, there'd be at least $75 in boards,
$100++ for the case, $50 for the power supply, $25 for a silkscreened front
panel and the rest, silicon, passives, switches, and the backplane
connectors. And that doesn't iinclude any re-engineering costs to account
for parts that have been discontinued or marked as "end-of-life."

    Given what happens when the old IMSAIs hit ePay, I'd pay $500 for a new
kit that I could build myself. I don't know if I'd want a Pentium-class
IMSAI with a front panel for $1200. I guess it would depend on how
faithfully it reproduced/simulated the operation of the original. I also
don't know if another bus standard is necessary, too.

    Personally, I'd prefer a kit, and I think that $500-600 is not
unreasonable. I'm sure that if you open this up to the hobbyest community,
you'd find enough takers to make a 500-unit quantity production run
feasable.

[ Rich Cini/WUGNET
[ ClubWin!/CW7
[ MCP Windows 95/Windows Networking