Rebirth of IMSAI

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Sun Mar 21 21:29:08 1999

What might make sense here is to replace the 8080 + surrounding logic with
an FPGA which talks directly (or maybe with buffering) to the S-100 bus.
With the right FPGA, you'd need no status latches, no bus buffers, just the
FPGA. If you use your imagination, you could even make it download the FPGA
from your PC, which would also serve as the console. That way if you wanted
to run it as an 8080 one day and a 6502 the next, that wouldn't be
unrealistic. It might even be conceivable to do this with a SCENIX SX in
the 52-pin version. You need a few pins for overhead to operate the SX,
plus the 40 less the supply connections for the emulated processor. If you
write your code so it operates the S-100 directly, you don't have much to
worry about. The skew between port updates is negligible next to what the
original part had, and you can, of course synchronize the signals by
latching them at the bus interface.

Now, I don't know whether I would want to do this, but as you can see . . .
the possibilities are virtually endless.

Dick