Displaying classic computers (was Re: Rebirth of IMSAI)

From: James Willing <jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com>
Date: Mon Mar 22 19:12:17 1999

At 05:56 PM 3/22/99 -0500, Max Eskin wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Tony Duell wrote:

...discussion of pros/cons of diplaying classic systems...

>>Are you sure about that. Some people are certainly interested in seeing
>>how things (computers, steam engines, machine tools, etc) were used. I've
>>been to plenty of interesting museums where many exhibits consist of
>>somebody demonstrating something.
>
>Yes, but for a computer there's nothing to watch besides blinking lights.
>For a steam engine, you see someone poke firewood, the wheel spinning,
>smoke coming out, etc.

That sounds like an awful PC (Personal Computer) point of view...

If the display is properly done, there can be a lot of things to watch.
Open reel tape drives, large format plotters, graphical disply
terminals/screens, high-speed line printers, and of course... the
blinkenlights!

-jim

---
jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com