.DSK files.

From: Megan <mbg_at_world.std.com>
Date: Mon Mar 22 22:54:44 1999

>There was a DECUS-contributed handler, the SD.SYS handler, back
>in Version 3 and 4 that did (does?) the "same thing" as LD in Version
>5.0. Are the two compatible? If so, you could find the SD handler and
>use it under RSTS? (Maybe it's on one of the tapes you can't read,
>yet/!!!)

THanks... I had forgotten the name of it. As for being compatible,
I can't see that there is much difference so long as the SD driver
serves blocks from the logical disk as if they were physical block
numbers of a physical disk... the RT utilities should just be able
to cope (so long as the driver follows are the prescribed driver
conventions).

>I haven't found the docs for RT-11 Version 5.0 very useful for
>using logical disks. There's all the references you need for commands,
>but there are almost NO discussions of how to do common tasks.
>I.e., there's no way to put it together to do what you want to do
>except by trial and error. Or brilliant deduction, which I usually
>don't have.

The LD[X].SYS handler is the heart of it... it is not only a handler,
but a program which has a normal program entry point... if you

        R SY:LD.SYS

you will get a CSI prompt, at which you specify what it is you want
to do. I don't know which release had the KMON commands built in,
I thought they were in from the beginning...

Anyway, I think the source for LD (uncommented) is on the kit, so
you could examine the source to see what options are allowed.

                                        Megan Gentry
                                        Former RT-11 Developer

| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '_at_' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |