Museums

From: Sellam Ismail <dastar_at_ncal.verio.com>
Date: Tue Mar 23 21:00:41 1999

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Megan wrote:

> That is a problem... cost for space. I decided to call around today
> and see if I could get a ballpark idea of what space might cost. So
> far I've only gotten through to one place -- an old mill complex in
> Saxonville, Mass. When I called, I was told that all they had left was
> a 2500 sq-ft area... at *$8* per sq-ft. That's US$20000 (I believe for
> a year), $1667/month. If this could be a club formed as a non-profit
> organization, and if I could get $10/month out of people, we'd need
> 167 members just to pay for the space... Then we have electric, which
> I would suspect will be a major part of the cost for such a power-oriented
> hobby.
>
> I know of one group who has space at $3/sq-ft, and a person who posted
> recently saying that they had space for free...

You've got to do a LOT of calling around. And be prepared to be depressed
at the prices you get quoted. I was fortunate to get the deal I currently
have (and its only temporary, at some point I'll have to start paying).
Try looking for places that have extra space they won't need or don't ever
intend to use. You can sublet for probably a little less per sqft than
market rate.

Also, try to be more flexible with what you want and where you want it.
You might find find a useable space at a very reasonable price that's a
little farther out than you wanted, but the increased driving (and
hauling) time may be worth it. Thanks to the booming economy, space is
just not cheap these days, so there will be trade offs.

Speaking of hauling distance, that is one thing to consider. You don't
want the space to be opposite of where you'll be hauling most of your
stuff from. Also, it should be a space that has access for large
machines, preferably with a ramp, or at least no obstacles into the space,
and large doors to fit big 7ft tall cabinets.

> Does anyone know if there might happen to be any grants or something
> equivalent that such an organization might be able to apply for?

If you create a non-profit organization then it will be much easier to get
companies to sponsor you in exhangce for tax write-offs.

> Doing a little more thinking about memberships, I was thinking of
> a tiered approach (typical) which ranks members on their level of
> usage of the facilities. And maybe there could be breaks for those
> who provide help to others... (just some more rambling)

I plan to make it just enough to cover expenses (once I start incurring
any) and maybe a little more to add extra amenities as needed. A tiered
system is probably a good idea. I'd also trade upkeep work (like
sweeping, lifting, organizing, hauling, etc.) for membership dues.

Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar_at_siconic.com
Don't rub the lamp if you don't want the genie to come out.

                  Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
                   See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
                        [Last web site update: 02/15/99]