PS/2s nicer than expected; some questions

From: SUPRDAVE_at_aol.com <(SUPRDAVE_at_aol.com)>
Date: Wed Mar 24 08:44:04 1999

In a message dated 24.3.1999 1:41:26 Eastern Standard Time,
gregorym_at_cadvision.com writes:

> 1) Why did Microchannel fail so completely? From a user point of view it
> seems quite nice.
>
> 2) Can MFM or IDE drives be used with an ESDI controller, or do the drives
> have to be ESDI drives?
>
> 3) Anybody know if the 486DX33 on the processor board can be replaced with
> an Overdrive chip to make it at least a 486/66; or, does IBM still run
> their parts depot in Boulder for old machines?
>
> 3) I'm having some trouble with the P70. Originally, it wouldn't boot at
> all. I ran the diagnostics from the Reference Disk, and all tests were
> passed. I re-ran the Auto Configuration with no errors. I installed PC-DOS
> 6.3, and formatted the built-in HD at the same time. Everything seems fine,
> but the system won't boot from the hard drive alone. If I boot with a
> floppy in the drive, I can access the HD and run programs off of it. But
> without a floppy, nothing works. Any ideas?

ah, the PS/2 models, my favourite. truly state of the art for the time. Its my
opinion that MCA didnt fail. Look at all the ps2 stuff you'll find at hamfests
and company surplus. I have lots of old software that mentions compatibilties
with ps2s, even netware 2.2! One reason I was told it was discontinued was
that around 1994, MCA was starting to conflict with the PCI bus machines that
were coming out.
the model 95 you have is pretty nice. plenty of drive bays and DMA io ports,
parity or ECC mem, SCSI with cache, selectable boot drive, worldwide power
supply and even that little LED panel that you can even make it say what you
want. I know there were 25mhz models upgradeable to 33mhz and a pentium
upgrade somewhere. IBM still has their parts counter in boulder, CO.
http://www.direct.ibm.com

david