Museums

From: Bill Pechter <pechter_at_pechter.dyndns.org>
Date: Wed Mar 24 21:14:49 1999

Nope... Why do you think DEC stopped making the 11/70.
FCC Rules. They were so tight that DEC called back every 11/70 they could
pry out of field offices (replacing them with carved up 11/74's in some
places like my Princeton office) in order to meet Ma Bell's requirements
for 11/70's. (They were allowed to ship used refurbed stuff for another
six months or so after they had to stop making new ones -- unless they
wanted to spend $$$ to have the model retrofitted for the new emissions
specs and retested for RF leakage).

(They probably could've used VAX cabinets and could've done this -- but
they were interested in dropping the 11/70 by then because it probably
not cost effective to build and the 11/73 was coming...)

Anyone out on the list have the truth? The above was the Field Service
guestimate after we pulled the 11/70's from Princeton in favor of
an 11/74 piece and a couple of replacement Vaxes for DEC's regional
data center...

Bill
---
  bpechter_at_shell.monmouth.com|pechter_at_pechter.ddns.org
      Three things never anger: First, the one who runs your DEC,
      The one who does Field Service and the one who signs your check.