followup: Rinky dink hamfest

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Sun Mar 28 20:12:15 1999

The Xerox 820 is one I really liked for a while. It only supported
single-sided single density drives, but had on-board terminal-style video
circuitry (24 lines of 80 characters) and used a BIOS which could be banked
in and out, which I don't know for certain even banked in the entire BIOS.
I once concluded that it only banked in the parts it needed at the time,
thereby leaving a larger TPA. I'm probably wrong about this, but I don know
the hardware was present to allow this.

With the addition of a little daughterboard from Denver Business Systems,
which replaced the 1771 FDC on the board, the device was double-density
capable once the BIOS was patched.

I even made and sold a daugherboard which replaced the CPU in order to
interface WD1000-05 and 1002-05 boards (bridge controllers) by Western
Digital. Both this board (the 820) and the TVI 80x seemed to be pretty
solid boards for CP/M.

Dick