followup: Rinky dink hamfest

From: Merle K. Peirce <at258_at_osfn.org>
Date: Sun Mar 28 21:24:04 1999

The 16/8 is an interesting machine. It came in 2 versions, the earliest
with 8" Shugart drives, a later with a DEM-II expansion case housing
5-1/4 inch drives. The CP/M-86 is not bad, but the MS-DOS is...well
MS-DOS. Incredibly primitive compared to CP/M 2.2. One problem is that
many were shipped with 128K memory. With the dinky drives, the machines
are disappointing. The old 8" 820-II is a far better and more usable
machine.

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Joe wrote:

> Today I went to see a couple of the people that I meet at yesterday's
> hamfest. One of them used to service XEROX computers. He told me that he
> threw out three rooms full of old XEROX computers less than a year ago. :-(
> He gave me part of the stuff that he had left, I have to take a Truck
> (note capital) back to get the rest (estimated at two cubic yards but no
> complete machines). So far I've found lots of docs and 8" flopppy disks
> for the 820 and 16/8. The 16/8 looks pretty interesting, it ran CPM,
> CPM-86 and MS-DOS. Does anyone have one of these? What's your opinion of
> them?
>
> He has a floppy disk drive control box to manual operate 3.5", 5.25" and
> 8" drives during alignment. Anyone have an idea of what one of these is
> worth with the alignment disks and manuals?
>
> Alos found a Lisa mouse to go with the Lisa that I got yesterday.
>
> Joe

M. K. Peirce
Rhode Island Computer Museum, Inc.
215 Shady Lea Road,