OT: 'Melissa' Virus

From: Ward D. Griffiths III <gram_at_cnct.com>
Date: Sun Mar 28 23:29:30 1999

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> OK, this is totally off topic, but if you haven't heard the weekends news
> I'd recommend checking out the following URL:
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/special/melissavirus.html
>
> Normally I discount these as hoaxes, but this isn't. Thankfully I'm one of
> the 'Dinosaurs' at work that refuses to give up an antique RS/6000 for a
> nice shiny new NT box, so I'm still on UNIX e-mail.
>
> The problem in a nutshell, don't open any messages in a Microsoft E-Mail
> program with the following title "Important Message From: {persons name}".

Since I don't run MS-Word on anything at home, and I don't care about
the Windows machines in my cube at work, I just don't worry about it.
There doesn't seem to be much in the way of email viruses that affect
a guy who reads it through a telnet connection.
--
Ward Griffiths
"the timid die just like the daring; and if you don't take the plunge then