Salvage yard sightings

From: Bill Pechter <pechter_at_pechter.dyndns.org>
Date: Mon Mar 29 18:06:34 1999

> >Would a 486 PS/2 make a decent Linux machine? Any suggestions on a specific
> >model?
>
> I'd recommend against it. While a 486 makes a good Linux box, I'm not sure
> how well Linux supports PS/2 hardware. It used to be it didn't support MCA
> at all, but I think it does now.
>
> Zane
> | Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
> | healyzh_at_aracnet.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
> | healyzh_at_holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
> +----------------------------------+----------------------------+
> | Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
> | and Zane's Computer Museum. |
> | http://www.dragonfire.net/~healyzh/ |

Actually an 8590 made a pretty good Linux box.
I ran one at IBM back about two years ago.

Back then you needed to pull special patches together, but Microchannel
is in the standard distribution now.

Bill

---
  bpechter_at_shell.monmouth.com|pechter_at_pechter.dyndns.org
      Three things never anger: First, the one who runs your DEC,
      The one who does Field Service and the one who signs your check.