Floor tiles

From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke_at_mch20.sbs.de>
Date: Wed Mar 31 17:47:36 1999

> > YOu are right, but it is still a doubble floor tile - The lower side is
> > typical metal coated to reduce (radio) noise, transmited from the large
> > antennas ...err... cables below :) - and floor tiles wit carpet tiles
> > atop are usual for 'high quality' computer rooms - don't forget, banks,
> > insurence companies and similar sites have a standard to maintain...

> Hmm? The banks, insurance companies and similar sites _I've_ worked
> in reserved the image for public areas -- the computer rooms not
> coming under that heading. The computer rooms at Prudential, Merrill
> and the Federal Reserve Bank of NY (to give recent examples) are about
> as showy as an impound lot. Now some of them _do_ have things like
> control centers with lots of screens showing different stuff that the
> PHBs will escort tourists past, the floors of those rooms are
> carpeted. (And of course, the screens are just for show, since the
> important data is going into logfiles and the critical alerts are
> going forth via pagers and email).

Maybe I have to add that my vision is based in the 70s and 80s.
For example I don't know the situation today, but in the early
80s the computer centre of the Münchner Rück (Worlds number one
'Rueckversicherung' - I don't know the english term - it's an
insurance company that secures the risks of insurance companies)
looked more like a chairman's suite than a workplace - wooden
covered walls, carpet floor (on tiles :), indirect shadeless
ilumination, everything just _expensive_ - and spacy - you could
walk around every mainframe like on a country yard - some 900
square meters (~10,000 sq ft) just for ONE machine (with
perhipherals). A similar (but less expensive) setting could be
found thru several other companies here in Munich.

Gruss
H.

--
Stimm gegen SPAM:     http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/de/