Z-80 M1?

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Wed Mar 31 16:38:56 1999

Because the Opcode fetch cycle was shorter than other memory cycles, it was
common practice to use M1* to insert a wait state. This added an extra
clock tick to the length of the cycle, making it almost as long as normal
memory cycles. That practice also set back DRAM design by a mite. It would
have been smarter for the chip designers to cough up the MREQ* a bit sooner
during M1* in order to make it easier to distinguish between opcode fetch
cycles and interrupt acknowledg cycles. Hindsight is always 20-20 . . .

Dick