ASR-33 Data Format?

From: Eric Smith <eric_at_brouhaha.com>
Date: Wed Mar 31 16:38:32 1999

Hans Franke wrote:
> I have an 7 KBaud modem over here so, where's your stick ?
> (Hint: server side of an 56K analouge dial in :)

My clue stick doesn't easily reach Germany from here. And anyhow, a 7 KBaud
modem isn't a 9600 baud modem.

And actually, I believe you're mistaken. The 56K modems (limited to 53K in
the US) use 8000 baud, with a maximum of 7 bits per baud (i.e., a maximum
of 128 constellation points).

It used to be possible to buy a very nice wooden clue stick from HP,
part number 19511-80014. It was advisable to sand at least one end of it,
or use gloves when handing it. My friend Ken prefers the designation "HP
Engineer's Corrective Action Tool", but AFAIK it iss basically the same
thing. :-)

Eric