Monitor tilt - return it? FOLLOWUP QUESTION

From: Don Maslin <>
Date: Wed Sep 1 18:29:44 1999

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Jay West wrote:

> Thanks to all for the advice on fixing the monitor tilt problem. Followup
> question:
> I'm probably being overcautious - monitors have always scared me due to the
> high possibility of shock hazzard. I believe it was Tony who said to
> basically unscrew the "hose clamp like" ring, then gently turn the tube end
> to adjust the screen. I'm doing this with power off because I'm a chicken
> (and I still realize there's some voltage lurking around). On this monitor,
> the "hose clamp like ring" unscrews easily. The ring itself was spread
> slightly (mechanics piston ring expander type tool). I can tell the clamp is
> quite loose. On the very end of the tube is a small circuit board, about 2
> inches by two inches. This is soldered directly onto the 7 or so pins in a
> circle on the back of the tube. Not wanting to touch the tube, I figured I'd
> just gently turn the circuit card on the back. I have applied as much
> pressure as possible without running the risk of bending or breaking the
> pins coming out of the tube and into the circuit card. The thing won't turn.
> I just wanted to double check with folks here and make sure I wasn't trying
> to turn the end of the whole picture tube off! Suggestions?
> TIA!
> Jay West
STOP! CEASE!! DESIST!!! Trying to turn the whole tube is exactly what
you are trying to do. The part that you want to turn is as far forward
on the neck as you can get. Typically, it will have a flared coil that
overlays the beginning of the flare of the CRT glass envelope.

You do not want to turn the tube, you want to turn the coil assembly.

                                                 - don
Received on Wed Sep 01 1999 - 18:29:44 BST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:32:35 BST