Santee swap serendipity

From: Shawn T. Rutledge <>
Date: Sun Apr 2 13:41:19 2000

On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 07:05:02PM +0100, Tony Duell wrote:
> >
> > >So what do you call the plug on a 'walkman' headphone? We'd call it a 3
> > >pole (or 'stereo') 3.5mm jack plug.
> >
> > Here when it's not called 3.5mm, it's called 1/8th inch. And the 2.5mm
> > version is 3/32 inch.
> Yes, but what do you call that type of connector? Is it a 'phone plug'
> even though it's not 1/4" in diameter, or what?

Yep. It's a phone plug regardless of size AFAIK.

You also mentioned a "coax" plug used for antennas... we have one called a
"motorola" plug used for car radio antennas, that has a metal sheath which
surrounds the coax cable and is about the same diameter, and a pin sticking
out for the center conductor. A "coax" plug usually means the kind used for
DC power connections, with an outer barrel and an inner barrel, which mates
with a jack that has a pin for the inner barrel and usually a single finger
that presses against the side of the outer barrel. I think I've seen about
6 or 8 different sizes of those.
 (_  | |_)   finger
 __) | | \__________________________________________________________________
 Get money for spare CPU cycles at
Received on Sun Apr 02 2000 - 13:41:19 BST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:32:39 BST