decayed capstan in Archive QIC

From: r. 'bear' stricklin <red_at_bears.org>
Date: Wed Mar 1 17:55:26 2000

Howdy;

Last night I discovered with no small amount of chagrin that the rubber
capstan in the Symbolics' QIC drive had turned to proverbial goo.
Fortunately the Genera distribution tape I used to discover this is only
superficially damaged, since it's my only copy. That'll teach me. (:

Anyway, I hoped to take the capstan out of a newer Archive QIC and just
replace the whole assembly, but they are mechanically dissimilar just
enough so this won't work. Enough of the original rubber is gone that I
have no indication of what the original diameter of the capstan is.

The drive is an Archive 5945L-2. What is the significance of this; how
similar is it to other, older Archive QIC units, what interface did they
use (it and a similar Archive QIC unit in one of my Convergent NGEN
machines both use the same, 50-ish conductor IDC edge-connectors), and how
likely is it that this is a common drive?

I need to find out what the thickness of rubber in the capstan (and/or its
full outside diameter) is so I can begin considering how to repair this.

Thoughts, comments, musings? Tony, I think this might be just up your
alley. (:

ok
r.