PDP emulation

From: John Wilson <wilson_at_dbit.dbit.com>
Date: Sat Mar 4 21:56:22 2000

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 05:49:08PM -0800, Zane H. Healy wrote:
> Downside of his is
> you have to *OWN* a copy of the OS to use it legally. You can't use the
> Hobbyist Emulator license. That only applies to Bob Supniks emulator.

There's always the SCO antique Unix license. It's not free, but at least
it's affordable. But what I'd really like to do is write a set of free
replacement RT-11 utilities to be used with Fuzzball etc. I started on
DIR.SAV a while back but haven't had time to finish it (it does do a nice
Y2K compatible dir listing including the TSX+ time stamp, but doesn't
support all those innumerable switches yet), PIP.SAV and DUP.SAV would be
some work but not impossible at all, and also I've always meant to flesh
my puny FORTH mini-OS into something real. Cause what I'd really like to
see is something you can legally run on a real PDP-11 w/o any "hobbyist"
restrictions, since you never know when you might actually make some money
by accident with these old machines. Media conversion, consulting, whatever.
For a lot of us it's a really fine line between job and hobby!

John Wilson
D Bit