Need RS6K help

From: Philip.Belben_at_powertech.co.uk <(Philip.Belben_at_powertech.co.uk)>
Date: Mon Mar 6 11:37:38 2000

Bill Pechter, quoting Peter Pachla:

>> Hi, I've just gotten hold of an RS/6000 which appears to be a model 520
>> (7013?).
>>
>> Since the thing appears to be a server (POWERserver?), and thus has no
>> display adapter, I need to get hold of at least one of the 10-pin to 25-pin
>> serial port converter cables.
>>
>> Can anyone, preferably in the UK, help please?
>>
>> Also, does anyone know where I can track down a set of AIX 3.1.0 manuals -
>> printed or electronic form?

> Are you sure there's no video cable. The 7013's (5x0 models --
> 520/530/550/580/590) often had a video card for IBM fixed frequency
> monitors--at least the one's I had did.)
>
> The serial ports weren't 10 pin on anythin IBM had that I saw.
> They used 9 and 25 pin ports.

I will say at the start that I have no experience with the 5XX (7013) - all this
is based on the 320 and 375 machines (7012) we have at work.

The serial ports on the 320s (can't remember about the 375) are indeed 10 pin.
Physically it is the same as on the IBM 6150 but I haven't got around to testing
the adaptor on my 6150 yet.

If you want to try the expensive route, the part number printed on the adaptor I
just pulled out of the draw is 00G0943, and you can try IBM. If you want a
cheaper route, with luck we will be decommissioning and selling off the RS/6000
stuff within the next few months (only one piece of software left to be ported
and that is almost finished) and I'll see what I can obtain for you.

Video IIRC is a DA shell with three miniature coaxen in it, so I imagine Peter
would have spotted it if it was there! The monitor is the IBM 6019.

(My plan is: build one working 320 out of the two dead ones, and sell: a
working 375, with monitor; a working 320, with monitor; a dead 320; a spare
monitor. I have no idea how much the dead 320 will cost to repair, but if IBM
are involved it is likely to be prohibitive, so perhaps I might get you the
video card from the 320)

BTW in case you wondered the keyboard is _not_ PS/2 compatible, but the mouse is
and all the windows drivers think it's a Logitech (it's on my PC at the moment).

HTH

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.