VCF Europa Update

From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob_at_stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
Date: Wed Mar 8 18:51:49 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Wilson" <wilson_at_dbit.dbit.com>
To: <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 4:48 AM
Subject: Re: VCF Europa Update

> Kind of like Morse code -- you can get up to around 5-7 WPM by just
using
> a lookup table in your head and concentrating really hard, but by the
> time you get to 20 WPM you'd better "just know" which letter is which.
> Well unless you're a genius or something...

An Ex Naval instructor in Morse once told me that it was much better to
learn morse *as a language* than as a coded form of english.
Interestingly, although he was a full call ham, he was a vigourous
opponent of morse being compulsory at speeds > 5wpm, as he said, based
on his experience, that some people simply
CANNOT learn it much beyond that level, no matter how hard they try. I
can believe that, I tried for YEARS to get up to 10wpm for my Full
license, but can't seem to quite get there.

Cheers

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Mark's College