AMD 1820-1701

From: Dwight Elvey <elvey_at_hal.com>
Date: Wed Mar 8 21:59:39 2000

Craig Smith <ip500_at_roanoke.infi.net> wrote:
> Thanks to all for the answer to my question---correct on all counts. I
> found one dual stamped [INTEL 8080A & 1820-1701]. "House numbered" parts
> always seemed like odd thing to do--duplicated a lot of effort---did
> they think they were hiding propriatiary information by obscuring the
> actual #'s on chips, transistors, etc?

Hi Craig
 The fact that you had a dual marked unit should tell you that
they were no trying to hide it. It is just an inventory
problem and also they can varify that warrenty repairs
are only done to factory original parts. Inventory systems
like this are often done in larger operations since they
usually require the manufacture to mark the parts. It
is such a small additional cost that the manufacture
does it to sell the volume that HP usually buys.
When parts come in, the warehouse guys know what and
where it should go.
 It is really a pain though. I think someone on the net
has a cross reference for HP numbers but I didn't keep
the pointer.
Dwight