languages

From: allisonp_at_world.std.com <(allisonp_at_world.std.com)>
Date: Thu Mar 9 08:08:37 2000

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Merle K. Peirce wrote:

> I think that trend to continue as long as social activists try to promote
> gibberish as language, as the ebonics debacle.

I'd be one to agree with that.

> I have always done well with English, and that is my field, where I earned
> two degrees, and always regretted not getting another. I do recall,
> though, that studying Latin did make things seem much easier to me, if
> only because the language forced organised thought. I think German might
> function that way also.

Some may laugh but it was learning Pascal after years of assembler,
focal and Basics that helped improve my english as it was the first time
I got to see structure at work. Up to that point verbs and nouns were
more of an abstraction needed to pass tests than working tools.

Allison