languages

From: Merle K. Peirce <at258_at_osfn.org>
Date: Thu Mar 9 07:38:29 2000

I think that trend to continue as long as social activists try to promote
gibberish as language, as the ebonics debacle.

I have always done well with English, and that is my field, where I earned
two degrees, and always regretted not getting another. I do recall,
though, that studying Latin did make things seem much easier to me, if
only because the language forced organised thought. I think German might
function that way also.

I do regret that I never put sufficient effort into my studies to become
really fluent in another language. I studied French, apparently had a
gift for the language, and was on the verge of being able to speak it.
What I really lacked was practise. I never really cared for the
language, though, and never pursued it. On the other hand, the language
I truly loved, Latin, is no longer a truly spoken one, and I learned the
Church Latin pronunciation, which annoys everyone else, to my gratification.
For my MA, I utilised my, by then very rusty Latin skills and also picked
up enough Spanish to read St. John of the Cross.

I do wish I could speak those languages readily, now, as well as German,
which i think is beautiful. And along the way, I dabbled in Italian,
Erse, Greek, Russian, and I have had a reading knowledge of Middle
English pounded into my head.

The key is simply time and practise, and I fully agree contemporary
standards have fallen, which I attribute to the lack of Classics training
in the schools. Also, it seems to be insane to image that one can write
well, without reading quality texts. The writer that most impresses me
these days is Dick Francis, he sets an impressive standard.

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Richard Erlacher wrote:

> English is my second language, though I've been using it as my primary
> language since I was 6. Because I learned it as my second language, I've
> developed into one who's somewhat stilted in his usage of the language, and
> also one who's very much aware of the application of grammar, syntax, and
> orthography. I am, therefore, thoroughly convinced that American English,
> if it follows the current trend, will degenerate into a sequence of
> monosyllabic grunts and whines by the time another couple or three
> generations have passed. Just look at the more recent additions to the
> Webster International Lexicon of the English language: words like "duuhh"
>
> Dick

M. K. Peirce
Rhode Island Computer Museum, Inc.
215 Shady Lea Road,