languages

From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke_at_mch20.sbs.de>
Date: Thu Mar 9 18:12:15 2000

> 1) The Acorn BBC micro. Reasons : It's got an excellent structured BASIC
> (which is easy to learn and get to do _something_ but also it's easy to
> learn good programming habits in). It's got a lot of standard interfaces
> (ADC, User port, RS423 (~=RS232), Centronics, 6502 Bus) to link to those
> science ezperiments you mentioned. _Excellent_ manuals as well.

> Actually, I think the BBC micro may well be the top educational computer
> of all time, for all I encountered it after I'd learnt a considerable
> amount about computing.

> The downside (at least in the States) is that they're not easy to find
> over there (UK ones, with PAL/625 line video outputs are very common over
> here). I don't think there was ever a US machine with the above features,
> though. The Apple ][ comes closest, probably, but the BASIC is not as
> good, and you have to find/build plug-in cards for the interfaces.

I have to support Tonys recomendation, well, within the US the A][
may be a better solution due the imense amount of available books
and software, but it never reached the _constant_ quality of the
BBCs documentation. PAL and 220V shouldn't be a real problem. if
your using a RGB or Composite CRT, it will synchronise well - and
if you realy want to use a TV set, any somewhat actual unit will
switch automaticly - and the quality may be as good as an average
Computer-CRT.

I still belive the best learning documentation ever was done for
the east German machines - designed to give you every skill and
knowledge needed around computers - maybe not very fancy and not
realy colorfull, but understandable, detailed and without any
doubt the most complete. Well, just you need also a German course
before reading - so I vote for the BBC or Apple.

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa am 29./30. April 2000 in Muenchen
http://www.vintage.org/vcfe