languages

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Thu Mar 9 20:02:38 2000

That assessment is quite correct! What's not so obvious, is that the fact
that we have a special class of student, commonly known as "speakers of
other languages" hence the term ESOL for Education for Speakers of Other
Languages, is a federal-court-mandated effort to provide this somewhat
nebulous group of pupils with an additional opprotunity to secure the
education to which the constitution apparently entitles them.

However, what's not so widely recognized is that this program has priority
over mainstream classes. Consequently, as more kids' parents find a way to
get their children so-classified, local school admistrators (most the
principals) are forced to provide limited-size classes for the ESOL program.
Since the mandate is not accompanied by any additional funding, the
administrator has to take teachers from the mainstream classes and assign
them to the ESOL program where class size is limited to 22 pupils per
teacher rather than the more common 30-35 seen in mainstream classes.
That's why so many people were so PI**ED about the "EBONYX" (as it was
spelled in our local papers, though that doesn't make it correct, by any
means) thing. This would have mandated that all users of that particular
pseudo-language were entitled to smaller classes, i.e. more personal
attention, than the mainstream.

While I don't doubt for a moment that there might be potential for great
benefit to those students qualifying for the smaller class-sizes, it's
taking those resources from the already overstressed mainstream education
program.

Dick