languages (Teachers)

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Fri Mar 10 14:59:50 2000

I didn't see Seth's remarks. I'm sure he makes a good point, and the
remarks I've put forth certainly don't apply to every teacher. However,
I've had ample oppurtunity to sample what's out there, and it's a dreadful
shame that there's so much evidence of what I've said. The extreme cases
are the ones that catch the most attention, and that applies to my attention
as well as anyone else's. I'm as sorry as anyone that this is what we see
when we take a long look, though. I certainly had hoped, when I ventured
into this territory, that I'd find something different. It has not
encouraged me to be optimistic.

My elder son, by the way, has gotten the message that this is an easy and
fun profession. He's dropped out of Harvard and attends a state teachers'
college, having declared that he didn't really want to work so hard and
didn't want to spend as much time working as he observed that I did. I'm
not proud of that, but it certainly fits, both with my observations and my
conclusions about them.

Dick