languages (Teachers)

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Fri Mar 10 14:50:34 2000

Allison, I believe you've been sold a bill of goods.

First of all, look at what a teacher has to do for his/her education and
later for his/her salary as compared, say, to an engineering student. From
what I've observed myself, and even more so from what I hear from my boys,
both in college, the workload in a typical week for an engineering student
adds up to about what an education major does in a semester. Secondly, he
doesn't have to look forward to those 7 20-hour-day work-weeks for the next
ten years, and he knows that he needn't worry about being fired, laid off,
or much of anything else that would rock the boat. Sure, he gets about $45K
after ten years, rather than the 60-75K the engineer will get, but he only
has to work a 6-hour day, and he only has to do that 183 days a year to get
full salary and, ultimately a generous pension.

Secondly, look at the quality of those individuals. These are people who
didn't do so well in high school, mainly due to lack of ambition and
diligence, didn't want to work too hard in college, and, of course, couldn't
get into a good college. Fortunately, a good college isn't required. On
top of that, he's chosen a niche in which he only has to work a 6-hour day,
and he only has to do that 183 days a year to get full salary and,
ultimately a generous pension.

Of course he's not into it for the money. He doesn't want to work hard
enough to earn a lot of money.

Dick