languages

From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke_at_mch20.sbs.de>
Date: Sat Mar 11 07:14:32 2000

> It didn't hurt that there were lots of Yiddish-speaking merchants in the
> neighborhoods through which I walked to and from school. Yiddish is quite
> similar to German and certainly makes conversation easier.

Let's get this straight, Yiddish _is_ a German language.
To be more exact it's in most parts a preserved German
as spoken during the 14th centurie along the middle Rhine.

> Note that I said it took 6 weeks to "catch on" and not the seven or eight
> years it typically takes here with the ESL/ESOL programs.

Same effekt over here - whe I went to school, we didn't
had seperate classes for Turkish children - and they
performed as average as Germans - just two hours a week
they had a seperate class. In other states (than Bavaria)
they introduced seperate classes for foreign workers
children - result: 18 year old pupil bearly able to
order a meal.

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa am 29./30. April 2000 in Muenchen
http://www.vintage.org/vcfe